Did you know October 13th is No Bra Day? I mean there are days for pretty much everything, but one for no bra? Isn’t that just about every day after 5 o’clock?
Well, as fun and quirky as it may seem to have a specific day to just let the girls run free, it’s actually part of October’s Breast Cancer Awareness Month initiative to promote breast cancer awareness, while also helping raise money for research. Its purpose is to serve as a reminder for all women to be screened for breast cancer. Most types of breast cancer can be treated if caught early, so early screenings and breast exams are key to the early detection process!
So how can one participate in #NoBraDay besides the obvious? Easy: take charge of your health and encourage others to do the same! Some ways to do so are:
- Set a reminder in your calendar to complete MONTHLY breast exams!
- If you are due for a mammogram, call and schedule one.
- If you’ve already had a mammogram, share your experience. Take the mystery and fear out of it by letting friends and family know it is nothing to be scared (or embarrassed) of.
- Make a list of questions to ask your doctor.
The main thing as we mentioned, is don't forget to screen. We may do it one month and then forget the next three. In order to make sure we are doing it every single month, here are a few tips.
- Set a recurring monthly reminder on your phone. Everytime you get it, set aside time to do your breast exam.
- Talking about Breast Cancer Awareness with your friends. This is a great way to keep ourselves and them accountable.
- If you are a visual person and if you need an additional (we don't recommend this one being your only) reminder, we at It's Cactus have a perfect way to help: check out our #NoBraEveryday art. Display it proudly in your home, whenever your girlfriends ask about it let them know its for breast cancer awarness, and everytime you walk by it, ask yourself if you've done your monthly exam!
Breast cancer is the most common type of breast cancer in women worldwide, let's take a stand against it!
And the perfect charms to share: